Erase an SD card completely

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by macstatic, Jan 4, 2017.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to erase an SD memory card (connected to my Mac via a card-reader) completely without damaging the card? I don't want the new owner of the card to be able to recover old files on it.

And yes -I am aware of the "secure erase" option in Disk Utility, but understand that with multiple passes on a memory card (or SDD) you're basically shortening its lifespan considerably.

2. Bruno09, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good idea!
    I didn't quite understand the part about choosing the startup disk though (marked in bold below):

.. so should I enable the (now encrypted) SD card as the startup disk? Obviously this won't work as it's a previously erased card for a digital camera.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

No, what Bruno meant is that you should convert or reformat the SD card as ‘Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)’. However, doing so will waste write cycles as well. Doing a ‘zeroing’ secure erase is usually enough.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where do I find the zeroing secure erase option? In my Disk Utility (version 13/OSX 10.9.5), when I click on "Security options" I only get a slider where it ranges from "Fastest" to "Most secure". No mention of "Zeroing" anywhere as far as I can see.

6. KALLT macrumors 601

The scale should have a label underneath it. It should say something along the lines of ‘writing zeros to the disk’.

7. macstatic, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, got it! Here's a screenshot.
    So basically this just fills up the memory card with zeroes until it's full? So the process won't reduce its life other than what filling it up with photos/videos or whatever would?
    diskutil_zeroes.png

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are thinking of older OS X versions. The newer versions are like this.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 1.29.56 PM.png
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2017 ---
    Yes the effect is one write cycle like if you have filled the drive with files then deleted them.

9. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oops!, sorry -I forgot to upload the screenshot (update: it's uploaded into the previous message now). Yes, I'm on 10.9.5.

So after writing a single cycle with zeroes like that it would have to take some (expensive) specialized service to recover anything on it and not just a regular OSX "undelete" tool like Disk drill, Data rescue, Photo rescue (and I few others which slipped my mind) to get them back?

10. KALLT macrumors 601

That is only possible if there is some over-provisioned part where some data might have survived the operation, but that would be a very small part, if it is at all present. Overwritten memory blocks are gone.