Erase and install question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Albone, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Albone macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2003
    If I used the Erase and Install option using the SL disc and then used Time Machine to do a full restore that last used 10.5.11 would my hard drive be running 10.5 or 10.6?
  2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    It will be 10.6 (Snow Leopard). The Time Machine backup generally transfers over your apps, settings, documents, etc. The system itself - which is whatever you installed from the disc - isn't touched.

And I think you mean 10.5.8, as there's no such thing as 10.5.11 :p
  3. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2003
    Whoops, sorry about the .11 thing. XD

Obviously, I own 10.5 but I can't find my install disc. Is there a way to go back to my old time machine backup, 10.5 and all without that disc?

I'm just not that impressed currently with SL and I almost think I'd rather have the random system wide crashes than 1/3 of the applications I regularly use not work.
  4. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Aug 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Not without your disks.
    You can contact Apple and ask for new install disks for your Mac, your serial number will be required.
  5. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2007
    hi, i am considering an erase and install on my mbp. One question about installing all my current applications from a time machine backup. Will i still need to find all my serial/activation codes for all these apps or will they come across with the time machine backup?
  6. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2003
    Heh. Found my install disks. Did the erase and install and so far so good, no random crashing. I have not upgraded to SL yet.

Brent, *I* didn't have to doing any re-activation except with iTunes. Quark and Adobe behaved fine.