Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Okay. So I wanted to erase my drive before I get my replacement from Apple. I selected erase and install. Of course my computer is having problems so the machine got through the first DVD then wouldn't let me start the second. I checked the disk utility on the OS X disk. I used to have 26 gigs available. Now it says 67 something gigs... Does it sound like all my data is gone? Can I package it up now?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Well, if it's a 120 GB drive and it's not partitioned, a reading of 67 GB free would imply that there's lots of data still on it. Whether it's readable or not is another matter.

I'm not sure it's crucial to get rid of it, but maybe try Erase and Install again? Or just try to erase it using Disk Utility to make sure it's all gone, and then reinstall separately.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well, if it's a 120 GB drive and it's not partitioned, a reading of 67 GB free would imply that there's lots of data still on it. Whether it's readable or not is another matter.

I'm not sure it's crucial to get rid of it, but maybe try Erase and Install again? Or just try to erase it using Disk Utility to make sure it's all gone, and then reinstall separately.

The drive in my sig is a replacement coming. It is an 80 gig drive.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Or just try to erase it using Disk Utility to make sure it's all gone, and then reinstall separately.
aaron.lee2006 if you are having trouble erasing and installing Mac OS, do like WildCowboy says, and use Disk Utility to erase the drive (maybe use the secure erase under options if you are concerned about the data that was on the hard drive) then install the Mac OS.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
To the OP, if you are having trouble erasing and installing Mac OS, do like WildCowboy says, and use Disk Utility to erase the drive (maybe use the secure erase under options if you are concerned about the drive) then install the Mac OS.

It's hard for me to install OS X I am having logic board problems. Would they care if I just erased the drive completely?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It's hard for me to install OS X I am having logic board problems. Would they care if I just erased the drive completely?
Doubt it.

Just tell them that you were preparing to hand over your computer but wanted to backup your data, erase the HD, and reinstall the system before you gave it to them.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's hard for me to install OS X I am having logic board problems.

That's fine...if you can at least get it erased successfully without having to worry about reinstallation at the same time, that's what you're really looking for. If you can then install OS X, great. If not, it's Apple's problem, but you'll know your old data is gone.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
That's fine...if you can at least get it erased successfully without having to worry about reinstallation at the same time, that's what you're really looking for. If you can then install OS X, great. If not, it's Apple's problem, but you'll know your old data is gone.

kk, I'll do that. Thanks a lot guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.