Erase and Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nexrus, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Nexrus macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to perform an erase and install. I've already backed up my personal files, etc. Is there anything else I should do/know before doing this? Thanks

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Just make sure you've really backed EVERYTHING up. Like bookmarks, docs. Before you erase, make sure you have all the serial numbers you need for your software.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

1. Make sure you have all the relevant software program CD/DVD's
    2. Be prepared for lengthy for downloads (updates) as well.

ps
    There's nothing like a good erase & Install .. :)

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

create disk images of all the programs you need to install and put on your external hd. makes it more convenient.

just did one yesterday.
    make sure you have your bookmarks as it is really easy to upload them back.
    write down all the apps that you have and want again.

make sure you have the entire itunes files like when you click on itunes make shure you get those 4 files as it will not have to upload all the music again as it has already done this and can be used.

just start up itunes after install then find that files and swap out your 4 files for the ones made. works like a charm. saved me 4+ hours. as it took me 2 hours of moving the actual files. then under a minute to get it running back again.

take a screen shot so you can make everything the same as the way you had it.
    also take shots of preference settings so you do not need to write them down and get frustrated as to why the program will not work as how you had it. pretty niffty

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey if you are installing leopard make sure you install a custom install so if you dont want languages and printer drivers you will save a few gigs

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i always thought it was nice to have that.
    but click do not install iwork and office trials.
    just is convenient

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You should ask yourself why you are putting yourself through so much trouble.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If he's got an external drive it's a lot easier and less time consuming to use CCC or SuperDuper to make a 1 to 1 copy. Once the OS X installation is done then use migration assistant to do all the dirty work. Once it's done you'll be running the Mac EXACTLY as you had it before. Worked perfectly for me when going from Tiger to Leopard and I just let the computer do all the work.

9. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I'm thinking of doing this too. Will using CCC mean you won't have to reinstall all your apps and documents?

I've got bad Airport problems (i think something has got corrupted somewhere) and am wondering whether to ERASE and Install or ARCHIVE and install?

I have Maya, Final Cut and CS3 install and can't be bothered to spend a whole day installing it all again.

Advice?

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Here's what you do:

1. Clone your hard drive to an external drive.

2. Plug the drive in and reboot.

3. Install Leopard on your internal drive.

4. When the option shows up, use Migration Assistant to import data/documents from your external to your internal Leopard installation.

Really easy. Keeps everything.

Last night, here's what I did:

1. Plugged in external drive. Rebooted.

2. Installed Leopard to external drive.

3. Used Migration Assistant to import settings from internal drive to external drive.

4. Booted from external. Once confirmed everything was working,

5. Cloned external to internal.

11. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

nice. Cheers for that.

I want to clean the system files (mainly all the airport drivers etc), will the migration assistant bring back all the messed up system files or just all my applications and documents?

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No prob. I think it brings back everything--or at least everything needed to preserve applications, settings, links, and documents.

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya see thats the main reason i do not use migration assistant.
    i try and take the least amount of actual files over (although 80 gigs is not that little) so that the programs are running fresh

i dunno to each his own.
    if you want to move selected files and not the whole thing do not use migration assistant.