Erase and Re-installing OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrogers, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mrogers macrumors member

I am attempting to erase the harddrive and re-install my OS X program on my macbook. I am looking at all the online tutorials and they are all different and difficult to follow.

When it boots I never get the option of Erasing and Re-formating etc. It just begins to download, leaving my old hard drive intact. How do I get this to work. I want to completely have my hard drive wiped before the program is re-installed. I am using OS X Version 10.6.3

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

When it gets to the opening screen (after startup from the disk by holding C). Move up to the top menu bar and select disk utility. Then select the disk you want to install OS X on and erase it and repartition, then start the install.

3. mrogers thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok, I didnt see the top bar.

Then what? I click on Macintosh HD (my hard drive) and the the Erase Tab and toe MAC OS EXTENDED (Journaled) Format?

This seemed like the most reliable source I found.

Is it supposed to erase so quickly? that took like 5 seconds.

4. mrogers thread starter macrumors member

Also what do you recommend to do with the Free Space Options

Zero Out, 7-Pass, 35 Pass

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I usually just erase and the repartition and then reinstall, but that is me. I don;t really care about zeroing out free space. Some people are really anal about this as the erase and repartition really only erases the File Allocation Table, so it can be that fast. The zeroing writes zeros to all of the sectors to insure that the data can't be retrieved (and even then it is sometimes still able to be retrieved), and the passes just repeats it for some many iterations to doubly insure that data is gone. Most people only do this in business environments that require high security (such as government, etc) or before selling their computer (to insure their personal data is unrecoverable (most will not include the drive in transactions to insure their data is secure). Since you are just wanting to reinstall for your personal use, I wouldn't even worry about it and just complete the reinstall at that point. My personal opinion though. DO what makes you feel best.