Erase background of a clip in FCE??? HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I know there's Color key and stuff in FCE, but I was wondering was there anything that allowed you to totally remove a background kind of like you can use the pen tool in photo shop and then select the background

basically I have a clip where I dont have a green or blue screen really and I want to eliminate the background completely and just have the subject...is that possible?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless you want to draw a mask individually for each frame, how is the program going to know what's foreground and what's background?

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

is it possible to do something of this nature? I dont mind b/c the clip isnt long at all...not too many frames

i'm not sure what else you're asking though as far as the foreground background stuff

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you could use a combination of garbage mattes, but this is really something that should be done in a compositing program like shake or AE.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

If the clip isn't long, you can do it frame-by-frame in FCP with a 50 Point Bezier Matte: http://homepage.mac.com/tomhenderson/beziermatte/

Or you can export an Image Sequence then do each frame in Photoshop.

Either choice will mean a lot of tedious work.

-DH

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I don't know which programs can do this, but there are some filters out there that can remove the background assuming that the background stays exactly the same. So you'd "train" the software with a frame that has just the background, and then it looks for differences in subsequent frames.

It sounds easy at first glance, but I have not used this myself and don't know how well this works in real life.

- Martin