Erase before turning in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rasmusDoh, May 4, 2010.

1. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

Hey

Gonna turn in my MBP later this week, because of a broken hard drive.

What do i do before turning it in?

Should i clone the drive (for backup) and then format and zero it out, to remove personal informations?

2. kenstee macrumors member

Perfect plan!

Before you do don't forget to deauthorize that computer in iTunes if you have bought/used Apple iTunes on that machine.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yep. I would clone it using SuperDuper! (or something similar) and zero it out.

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

If you have backed it up and there's no personal information (credit card numbers, Social Security number, etc.) stored on it, then just create a new admin user. Then login with the new admin user and use System Preferences Users panel to remove the other user you created including all the user files.

If you do have personal data you don't want a hacker to hack, then you'll want to boot from the installer discs, erase the hard drive using the security option (write zeros to the whole drive). Then reinstall OS X fresh.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So my MBP HD failed two weeks ago...got stuck in booting up...then after several retries it came up with ?!!! The local mac shop replaced it with a new HD (under warranty luckily!:D)

Could I have cloned the HD? How?

Luckily I had a backup that was only 2 months old.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's hard to clone or zero a broken hard drive. That's what backups and encryption are for. If the drive is broken and you need to be sure that your data is gone, the only way to be 100% sure is to physically destroy the drive. If you have encryption, your data is useless without the key (as long as the OS didn't do something dumb like store the key on the disk. Make sure you disable Safe Sleep if you use file vault).