Erase Drive on Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ARK, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

Quick question. Erasing and reformatting my drive on a late 2008 from an USB flash drive with El Cap. Do I have to keep it plugged in while it does this process or do I have the option of going mobile?

2. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Wondering if I should leave it or take it in the car and drive home while ts writing it's 3 pass of zeros.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

There's an article floating around somewhere about the CIA being barely able to recover anything after a single 0ing out. I'd say you're overkill. Just do a regular format and you'll be good to go.

Not the article I was looking for, but it'll give you an idea.

http://www.hostjury.com/blog/view/195/the-great-zero-challenge-remains-unaccepted

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Assuming you still have a spinner HDD, the process of writing zeros burns through the battery faster than normal activity plus the chance of hitting a bump while writing to the platter is more risk than I would take. What you want to do could be risky since it is unknown what type of internal drive, the charge level/condition of the battery, the duration of the drive, the quality of the roads, and how smooth/soft is the suspension on your vehicle.

I agree that a 3 pass of zeros seems like overkill.

5. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input guys. I left it at my work but did do the 3 pass. I'll install El Cap Monday and get it sold. :)