Erase FCE render files.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SDunleashed, Jan 8, 2009.

1. SDunleashed macrumors newbie

I have 14 GBs of render files and im wondering if it ok to delete them? I have finished the movie i made that these render files are from but are they ok to erase when i have finished?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I believe it is okay to delete render files once you have you project exported as a self-contained movie and you don't plan on editing it any more.

Regards,
    David

3. cillbill macrumors newbie

... what does it mean to export the project in a 'self contained' movie...? How is that done?

I cannot record my film (saved on external harddisk) to dv tape on the video camera because there is 'insufficient diskspace',,,

When I run the render manager, only available files to delete are 'additional render files' and Im a bit affraid what will happen if I delete those?!

Please share your good advice, it will be HIGHLY appreciated as I am totally lost at the moment :-/

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

This really should be in a different thread. But, a self-contained file is a movie file that contains all the material necessary to play the video on any computer with QuickTime installed. A reference file is a file that only contains data that tells the computer what video files to look for and how long to play each one. With a reference file, you will need to have all the clips that you used for the video on the computer that you are trying to play the video on. When you say "record your film to the DV tape" what do you mean by that? Are you trying to take a project that you have digitally and write it on the tape? Once you are COMPLETELY done with your project and there are going to be no more edits, make a self-contained movie (in the resolution you edited in) and you can toss the render files.

David

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Deleting your render files won't hurt anything. All that will happen is that you'll have to re-render your timeline. Every time you render FC makes new render files so it's easy to see how old ones can clog up a system over time (they can also become corrupt and cause problems while editing). I routinely delete all my render files.

Lethal