Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinnie1202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
My MacBook was water damaged. Hard drive survived. I now want to sell for parts but want to do a complete erase and reinstall of the os. I've read a few options for doing this but wanted to see if this idea would work.

When I wanted to get my data off my hard drive, I just physically swapped it into another mac we have (literally swapped my hard drive in and ran time machine to get my files). Now I want to erase and install os, can I do it in the same way. I.e get the functioning mac, take that hard drive out, swap mine in, run the erase and install and then swap hard drives back again. Or will that cause any problems on the functioning mac after the hard drive is put back in.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you spend about $23-25?

You might consider getting something called a USB3/SATA docking station.

It would make file transfers, drive swaps, backups, etc. -- MUCH easier.

To see what these are, go to amazon.com and enter "usb3 sata dock" into the search box. You'll see many choices.

These work with both 2.5" and 3.5" drives, and you can boot from them as well. VERY useful device to have around.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My MacBook was water damaged. Hard drive survived. I now want to sell for parts but want to do a complete erase and reinstall of the os. I've read a few options for doing this but wanted to see if this idea would work.

When I wanted to get my data off my hard drive, I just physically swapped it into another mac we have (literally swapped my hard drive in and ran time machine to get my files). Now I want to erase and install os, can I do it in the same way. I.e get the functioning mac, take that hard drive out, swap mine in, run the erase and install and then swap hard drives back again. Or will that cause any problems on the functioning mac after the hard drive is put back in.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Just erase the disk. You are selling it for parts.

Anyone buying for parts is not going to care about an OS.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Now I want to erase and install os, can I do it in the same way. I.e get the functioning mac, take that hard drive out, swap mine in, run the erase and install and then swap hard drives back again. Or will that cause any problems on the functioning mac after the hard drive is put back in.

Yes, that will work just fine and will not cause any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.