Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Pardon this being in the wrong spot but it's about PCs so I'll just stick it in here. Is there anything I can download and burn to a disk, then boot my PC from the disc, and use that to erase my hard drive? I know you used to be able to use floppy discs to boot into DOS and then run fdisk, but my PC doesn't have a floppy drive. I have tried Linux (that's actually what I'm trying to get off) but the sudo -rm / doesn't work because it spits out an error saying it can't delete due to it being a directory. Right now I have Linux completely removed except the boot loader. With the boot loader on there I can't boot from my Windows install disk to wipe the hard drive from there. What do you recommend?

ps I typed this fast and haven't proof read it so it might not make total sense so bare with me please.

--Cheers

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Technically, it's sudo -rm -rf /.. but I don't think that's going to accomplish what you want.

Why can't you boot from the Windows CD?

I recommend asking on a Windows forum? ;)

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Benjamindaines said:
Erase Hard Disk

Don't know anything about Linux, but can you not change the boot order in your Bios (maybe disabling the HD as a boot device?), so that it only looks for the CD to boot from, and then do a clean install from your Windows disk?
Sorry if this is a stupid suggestion.
And good luck. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.