Erase HDD & Time Machine Upload/Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghsNick, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have an External Hard Drive and after Apple "reconfigured" it I've been using it as my Time Machine Back Up.

Tomorrow I'm exchanging my MBP for an iMac.

1 - I want to upload my most recent Time Machine Back Up (now) tomorrow onto my new iMac...will this work and make my iMac like my MBP (right now)?

2 - I want to erase everything off of my MBP so none of my information is left on the MBP...what is the best way to do this?

2. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Bump - Please let me know if or how I can do this?

I want to go to the store while I can but need to know I can restore everything.

3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Backup your MBP to your external HDD via. Time Machine. Buy your iMac, plug in your external HDD. Boot up the iMac, at the Migration Assistant stage (after welcome video) select to migrate from Time Machine backup. Let it complete, and your new iMac should be at the exact same stage your MBP was at the last backup.

Regarding the MBP, simply insert the Mac OS X Install DVD you got with the computer, hold down the C key after the boot chime. Erase the HD using Disk Utility and put a fresh install of OS X onto the machine.