Erase & Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ieire, May 17, 2010.

1. ieire macrumors newbie

ieire

Hi There,

I just did a clean wipe of my MacBook Pro (Spec Below) and after it shows I'm using 13.4 GB of space on my drive, this seems very high to me, I don't have anything else installed like iphoto and others from the Applications disc. All I have installed is the OS. Does anyone know if 13.4 GB is far too much for Snow Leopard on it's own without anything else on the machine.

Thanks for any help

2. JGruber macrumors 6502

If you didn't customize the install, meaning you didn't remove any unneeded language files or printer drivers, and install iLife, then your right about the normal install.

3. ieire thread starter macrumors newbie

ieire

Thanks for your reply
    I didn't install any of these, I unchecked them all, I don't need them and I erased the drive before installing with disc utility. I even tried it a second time to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time round. The installer says it needs 8 GBs for the OS but when it's installed it's over 13 GBs, I'm not sure where the extra 4-5 GBs are going :confused:

4. JGruber macrumors 6502

Did you install iLife? If so, that is where the extra GB's are from. Also if you are fully updated this will add to it as well, not by much, but it does.

5. ieire thread starter macrumors newbie

ieire

No iLife installed or anything else from that disc, I didn't do any updates yet, just used the OS disc that came with the machine.

6. JGruber macrumors 6502

Seems a little odd that you would have 13GB+ if you did just the install of the OS, but it doesn't seem too unlikely. However I think it has to do with the way 10.6 reads the used/avail GB. Base10 opposed to Base2 (if you are using 10.6)

7. ieire thread starter macrumors newbie

ieire

Yep I'm using 10.6, not sure where this space it's going, I'll have another look at it tomorrow, getting a bit late now for this, thanks for your help, appreciate it :)

8. ieire thread starter macrumors newbie

ieire

Yep I'm using 10.6, not sure where this space it's going, I'll have another look at it tomorrow, getting a bit late now for this, thanks for your help, appreciate it :)