Erase iphone before selling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greatescape, Sep 26, 2008.

1. greatescape macrumors newbie

I know this has come up before but I have been searching everywhere and cannot find an answer. I have a 1st gen iphone that a friend wants to buy, but i want to get rid of all my info on the phone before letting him have it...I upgraded to the 3G so I guess it "de-activated" my original phone so all i can get on it when i turn it on is the "emergency call" screen...Called apple and they said they "thought" that when friend activated the phone it would erase all of my info...will it really or is there another way I can do it to be sure...he's 90 miles away so i can't be there when he activates it...nothing real critical on it but there are some songs and a lot of contacts...Again i apologize if this is a repeat question as I know it has bound to have come up before. Thanks in advance

2. madfresh macrumors regular

Have you tried taking out the SIM and putting it in your old one?

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just plug it into your computer and hit restore... and don't restore from a backup. Set it up like new.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Or better yet, don't set it up. Keep it virgin so the new owner is ready to go with activation, because if you set it up on your computer it will try to activate it.

TEG

5. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

if you are on 2.x go to settings->general>reset-> erase all content and settings. this will take an hour to complete, but it will completely remove stuff that a restore might miss