erase MacHD on HDD? not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dusk007, May 28, 2011.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I want to kill my old Macintosh HD Partition which is on the HDD. I am running of the SSD now. It works fine when I disconnect the HDD entirely, thus it shouldn't be a problem to delete the old one (all data is save).
    It doesn't seem to work though. It always says (even in Windows) that it is in use and cannot be unmounted.
    I want my HDD to become a data only disk and offer no bootable volumes but I just cannot seem to delete any. I didn't try the 2 NTFS volumes because I still need some data from them. But in Windows they shouldn't be a problem.

My partitions look like this
    MacSSD boots
    WinSSD (x64 new) boots
    Macintosh HD boots if selected and doesn't let me unmount it
    Windows x86 none bootable, unmounts
    Bootcamp (x64 old) boots both HDD Win partitions, unmounts

Now the HDD even spun down but as soon as I enter diskutility, it spins up and unmounting is not allowed.

Any suggestions. The only step left I can think of is. Dave all the Windows data. Take out the HDD put it into my Windows Desktop and delete all the partitions there. Seems extreme and I would have to disassemble it again.
    I tried to delete the whole partition in Windows (boot WinSSD) but next MacSSD startup it was back as though nothing ever happened.

2. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

Solved.
    I found away to force the unmounting and erase it.

3. KwanMan macrumors regular

how did u do that? i have the same problem