Erase sell my Macbook SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melodosgr, Jan 20, 2011.

1. melodosgr macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I'm looking forward to upgrade my intel x25m 80gb to a 160 one. Could some one provide me some info with the steps in order to have all my data securely wiped off without losing any performance on the drive?

Since this is a Trim G2 Intel drive, i was thinking about using the disk utility 7 pass DoD and then doing a secure erase. Makes sense?

Thanks

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You don't need to do the 7-pass erase, it literally takes forever. "Zero all data" will write zeros to the entire disk, and it has always been good enough for me when selling used computers and drives. Nobody will be able to see any of the files that you ever had stored on your drive if you completely zero the drive. The 7-pass erase is just for completely paranoid people, in my opinion.

Zeroing a drive can take several hours, but the 7-pass erase can take more than a day or two in some cases.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

IIRC, you should NOT do a zero-pass on the drive. While that will erase the SSD completely just like a regular HDD, doing so on an SSD is equivalent of putting data on every block, effectively destroying performance on that SSD. What you should use is a Windows or Linux based utility to wipe the drive.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Wait on the new Intel. The price of a current 160GB may get you over 300GB as they are saying massive price reductions :)

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This ... search the Mac Pro forums for how to securely erase the SSD, but you absolutely do not want to use any of the x-pass tools in Disk Utility.

Also, since you have an Intel, you could just use the Intel Toolbox Utility, as there's a secure erase option in the software. I do this myself and is super easy and fast.