Erase Windows 7 HD on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and need to recover - URGENT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nickrick, Nov 29, 2011.

1. nickrick macrumors newbie

nickrick

Hi,

I made a mistake when I want to format Mac HD but I erase HD which I have Windows 7 on it which is HD only for Win 7 and I use for separate boot not in bootcamp.
    What I do: I was in disk utility and click HD and click on Erase but I didn't create Partition table. After that I realize that was Windows 7 HD which I use to boot separately from Mac OS X. I use Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.8. (Mac Pro 1.1). I use test disk to recover HD but I can't backup files which is in folders.
    How to safely backup this drive?
    Any solutions for this problem?

Thank you

Nick

2. Ben8472 macrumors member

very important

don't doctor around with it atm!

do you remember if it had 1 partition and was it all ntfs? what type of mac do you have?

3. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Always have a vhd image of your Windows 7 disk.

4. nickrick thread starter macrumors newbie

nickrick

1 HD and 1 partition (250GB) NTFS (Windows 7, 64bit), I have Mac Pro 1.1

----------

easy to say..:) but I never imagine that I will delete that HD but when you have 3 hard disks with 250 GB in machine than it is possible to pick wrong one

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

http://www.recoverdatatools.com/

I used these products when I lost my partition. It recovered nearly all of my files. You do have to pay for it and I didn't find a product that would allow recovery for free.

6. nickrick thread starter macrumors newbie

nickrick

thank you for info, my situation is little complicated because I delete NTFS partition with disk utility on mac and software recognize it like mac hard drive but there are Windows files, as I told before I used Test Disk which is great I were rescue several HD with this tool (it is free) but in this situation I can see folder on HD but I can't access to files.
    It is not problem to buy software but only thing is important that is this software capable to solve this problem.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The free trial will show you if it can recover the data. My situation was kind of similar. I managed to use windows recovery to write over my entire hdd and lost my mac osx partition. The tool above got my files back.

8. nickrick thread starter macrumors newbie

nickrick

Right now I download it and will try to recover with this. I hope it works.
    thx

9. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

If it was a properly formatted NTFS drive and you can't recover it from the Mac side, try pulling it out of the Mac and try to recover the files using a windows PC and apps. Maybe you'll get better luck.

As for back-ups, this is your lesson: always have a back-up of data you would mind loosing. Always.

Loa

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yup. That's what I did. It's a long story but for various reasons I had just deleted my backup 5 minutes before I destroyed my partition. Lesson learnt. I did have another off site backup but it was 2 weeks old.

11. nickrick thread starter macrumors newbie

nickrick

I try this software and it looks that will be ok now I have to order this app.

thank you