Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simondevon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Quick question for the experts.

I have a firewire drive attached to my mac book pro c2006 running 10.6.8. In a moment of stupidity in disk utility i selected this drive and pressed erase. watching it for a few moments and in panic switched the drive off.

Is there any way of recovering the data or a program that will recover my data? Or does a fool and his data find they are parted.

Simon.

maz-o

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Google "recovery software mac".

I've found they usually work pretty well, although they don't find 100% of the deleted stuff. Also, don't know if your disk got some damage with that power-off during format. Give it a try.

cjoy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
I used DataRescue for a similar issue and it worked really well.
It is not free and the recovery will take its time, but it should recover most of your files unless they have been overwritten.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
TestDisk is a very nice tool to recover accidentally formatted volumes: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It reads the disk through and recovers the partition table, so there is no need to transfer any files on another drive, like some other tools require you to do. And it's also free.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
The above posts will really help with data recovery. Personally I have used data recovery to get 90 some pictures off an SD card that was "erased". You will probably be able to get most of your data off.

Also depends on how you were erasing. If you did not do the "secure erase" with passes for writing zeros, I think all the computer does is tell the disk it is empty, but not actually change the data on the disk until something needs that space and overwrites it.

simondevon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
thanks all

ill try looking for some of this software, a few quid is not a problem if it works.

Simon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.