Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
HI

small/big problem
I put my labtop in connection with a PowerMac G5 via firewire. I used the G5 to go in and erased a 8gb file on my labtop HD, to free space.
I drag the file to my G5 trashcan.
Now the file is gone but still useing the 8gb space.
I try to go to Disc utilities and verifide and repaired permissinos.but no change.

Any suggestions
Best
E.

PS. I only have the Powerbook to work on now, so any suggestion including the G5 is to no use.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
erh said:
HI

small/big problem
I put my labtop in connection with a PowerMac G5 via firewire. I used the G5 to go in and erased a 8gb file on my labtop HD, to free space.
I drag the file to my G5 trashcan.
Now the file is gone but still useing the 8gb space.
I try to go to Disc utilities and verifide and repaired permissinos.but no change.

Any suggestions
Best
E.

PS. I only have the Powerbook to work on now, so any suggestion including the G5 is to no use.

Did you empty the trash after 'trashing' the file??

erh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
pncc said:
Did you empty the trash after 'trashing' the file??
Yes I did.
I have restarted several times, and trashed the folder where the file were.

E.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
I don't understand. What do you mean when you say that the file is gone but it still occupies space? Can you see the file or not?

erh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
abhishekit said:
I don't understand. What do you mean when you say that the file is gone but it still occupies space? Can you see the file or not?
I can't see it, but I had 7gb avalible before I erased it, and I stil have 7gb.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Just to confirm, did you empty the trash on the G5, while the Powerbook was in firewire mode? Connect the PB to the G5 and check the G5's trashcan to make sure it's not still hiding there.

Is disk journaling enabled on the G5? What about the PB?

paul

erh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
paulwhannel said:
Just to confirm, did you empty the trash on the G5, while the Powerbook was in firewire mode? Connect the PB to the G5 and check the G5's trashcan to make sure it's not still hiding there.

Is disk journaling enabled on the G5? What about the PB?

paul

Hi Paul

No, I did not emty the trash on the G5. And I saw the file in the trash on the G5 before leaving the G5. But I have no longer acces to the G5.

I don't knowe what youmeen with journaling enabled.

Best
erh

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I believe you have to empty the trash on the G5 first. This used to be the same case with floppy disks. You pop one in, put something in the trash and eject it and it is still on the disk. To fully erase it you have to delete it from the trash you put it in. I think you'll have to find that G5 to erase it if you can't find any other solutions.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
erh said:
Hi Paul

No, I did not emty the trash on the G5. And I saw the file in the trash on the G5 before leaving the G5. But I have no longer acces to the G5.

Best
Esben

That was the point of my original question. Go to the Finder, select 'Find' from File menu. Select
-the drive the file WAS on
-choose 'visibility' and 'invisible' from the popups
-click the + sign to add an attribute
-choose 'name' and 'contains' then type in the name of the file

it should look like the attachment below.

Drag/drop the 'Found' file to your trash again and empty it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 93

erh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
pncc said:
That was the point of my original question. Go to the Finder, select 'Find' from File menu. Select
-the drive the file WAS on
-choose 'visibility' and 'invisible' from the popups
-click the + sign to add an attribute
-choose 'name' and 'contains' then type in the name of the file

it should look like the attachment below.

Drag/drop the 'Found' file to your trash again and empty it.

You know what. Mission acomplished.

That invisible thing did it. I allready tryed to serch for the file and for and for files larger than 1gb. - But this did the different.

Thanks
erh

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
erh said:
You know what. Mission acomplished.

That invisible thing did it. I allready tryed to serch for the file and for and for files larger than 1gb. - But this did the different.

Thanks

Esben

Glad you got it figured out. I was going to suggest the search but didn't think it would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.