Erased Hard Drive: Cannot Reinstall OSX!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Saladsamurai, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I have never had this problem before: I deleted Bootcamp partition. Repaired my hard disk and then erased my hard drive. Now I am trying to reinstall Snow Leopard and after the install starts it says: 35 minutes remaining" for about 5 minutes. Then it goes to a screen that says:

"Install Failed: Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer. The Installer could not copy the necessary support files. Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again."

I tried restarting and installing and I get the exact same situation. I am not sure what is going on here. This MBP is less than 6 months old and this is the 1st time I have tried a reinstall on this particular machine.

Any ideas on this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The hard drive could be failing. Why do you want to reinstall?

3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

What does this mean? Why would my HD be failing if the computer is brand new. I mean, it is possible, but it's given me no reason to believe that it is failing.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Hard drives can fail as soon as they are turned on for the first time, after a week of little use, after three years, or ten years. Another thing to check is your installing DVD. Is it scratched or dirty?

5. Saladsamurai, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Disk looks good to me. Is there a way to move the Installer from the disk to an external hard drive? I have been looking around and seeing some threads about corrupt disks. I am not sure if this would help, but I would like to try it.

OK. SO I burned a disk image to my external HDD, but now I cant figure out how to install from it?

6. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like you nailed it! It's officially the hard drive. Being fixed as we speak.