Erased HD Volume- need help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cub4Lyfe, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Cub4Lyfe macrumors newbie

I just received my new macbook pro and accidentally erased the volume hd (one that shows 500gb and specs etc) upon a reset. It doesn't show in Disk Utility. All that appears is Macintosh HD which the utility will only allow me to verify and repair just like the original poster. The Mac boots directly to the Utility Menu upon restart. Ive tried the recovery system, and the only disc I can get to show upon reboot is a recovery hd but it is locked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

did you try to boot with Cmd + r depressed ?

The OS X Utilities window should show up and let you re-install from Internet.

3. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did. The internet recovery (globe) initiated, loaded, and returned me to the utility menu.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Ok, and if you choose "Reinstall OS X", what happens ?

5. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

When it gets to select drive to install it shows only a recovery hd which says it has been locked when i attempt to select it.

6. Mik3F macrumors 6502

You may need to go into Disk Utility and recreate the partition to enable you to install OS X again

7. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

when i go into Disk Utility Macintosh HD shows up but it doesn't allow me to do anything to it. All the fields are greyed out.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Does it show Macintosh HD twice like in my screenshot?

[​IMG]

9. Cub4Lyfe, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

No it just has Macintosh HD once

as such:

Macintosh HD

disk1
    -- OS X Base System

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this. Make sure you are in Internet recovery and not regular recovery. (It sounds like you are from the globe description) Hold command-option-r (all three at once) at boot and pick your wifi and you should see the spinning globe, then the recovery screen.

Now start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Select the drive band name itself at the very top of the left column above Macintosh HD. Now select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown to the right and apply that change.

That should erase the whole disk. Now quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS X at the top.

11. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

when i enter internet recovery, the globe spends with the progress bar and timer beneath it and once its loaded the apple symbol reappears, load and sends me back to OS X Utilities.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

It should get you to this screen. Is that what you see?

It looks just like the regular, disk based recovery screen, but it is running in RAM from the download and not the disk.

13. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, thats exactly what I see.

----------

However, it didn't ask me to sign into my wifi network but it loaded and returned me to the screen above

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's fine. So what happens when you try and use Disk Util like I described?

15. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

when i select Macintosh HD everything pertaining to it is greyed out with the exception of the verify and repair disk options. Everything in the Partition folder is grey.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Read what I explained again. Go to the erase tab and select the disk, not Macintosh HD.

17. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about that. There is nothing above Macintosh HD but the Verify scope. the disk 1 and os x base system are beneath and all options to reconfigure are greyed.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... just to be sure... you are in the erase tab of Disk Util?

Let's back up a little. Why did you do this and can you explain step by step what you did?

19. Cub4Lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

I was attempting a hard reset of my mac and suspect that I deleted the volume hd. Unfortunately, I'm up against an engagement and can't continue to troubleshoot. Ironically, I went through another thread and you helped someone through an almost identical occurrence although his fix didn't work for me. So, I was happy when you jumped aboard to help. Thank you anyway. Your time has been very well much appreciated.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are welcome. Shoot me a PM if you want to revive the thread and take another crack at it when you have time. :)

21. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's kinda what I was thinking and my next suggestion was going to be to run this command from Terminal to kill it and start over.

Code:
    diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"