Erased HDD, Can't Install OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by natharvey, Oct 25, 2008.

1. natharvey macrumors member

hey everyone,

i'm selling my macbook pro in order to buy the new one. so of course i erased the hard drive, 7 pass. and when i tried to install OS X from the restore discs, it came up with an error said it was missing some media or soemthing. So i was going to just simply try again, but now I can't get to the boot screen. I get the folder with the ? on it and I can't seem to restart and boot from that restore disc.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

sounds like the hard drive might be done if its giving you that "?" did you try holding down the option key while it was booting so you could select boot disk?

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Not sure of Macs...well it should be the same because this is before the Operating System actually boots up right?

on my PC I tap the F12 key when its starting up, and before loading Windows, and it brings me to the BootFrom: menu, if you press Del it goes into the BIOS menu. Try that

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The HD may not necessarily be done. If you can't seem to get the boot disk to go you can take it to the Apple store and see if they can help you. I had a friend that had the folder with the ? on it and took it in and they were able to fix it. I think a boot file gets corrupt, not sure... You might be able to get DiskWarrior and hook it up to someone else's mac and start it in Target mode and run DW on the other persons mac to see if you can fix it...

Just a thought.

5. justind.clark macrumors member

You could try holding the "C" key while booting up (this allows you to boot up from the disk drive)

6. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Press and hold the power button to turn your machine off.

Press and hold C after starting to boot again.

Go to disk utility once you have booted to the install media, the go to partition, and the options. Make sure that GUID is selected. Set for 1 partition and wipe the drive.

Then try to re-install. The installer should recognize it after that.

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

No. Wrong. Macs are not like other PCs. Don't post information when you "aren't sure of Macs". Let the people who know what they're talking about help.