Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro running Sierra. I went into recovery and erased the HD, however, when I click re-install OS, it wouldn't. I tried to connect to wifi but it wouldn't, maybe because I'm in university and don't have a router, only access point. It's giving me error that I need "to be closer to a router".

Any other solutions?

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
So I followed this guide and made a bootable usb, however, with El Cap because I had a .dmg. When I tried to install El Cap, I get the "stop" sign, could that be because I had Sierra originally installed?
[doublepost=1503753992][/doublepost]
Go to a local Cafe or something and see if there is a better connection. Only way to reinstall macOS is via internet connection.
Cafe and libraries require me to "Agree" for terms.....so I don't think that would work, right?

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
So I followed this guide and made a bootable usb, however, with El Cap because I had a .dmg. When I tried to install El Cap, I get the "stop" sign, could that be because I had Sierra originally installed?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156
it means the system cannot find a proper system folder to boot up. Did you select usb (keep alt-key down on start up and select the usb-key)?
If so, something did not go right, with creation of the usb-key. Never done it on Windows.

Edit: Reading my link, I see it can also be caused by an unsupported version of macOS. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201686

Edit edit: El Capitan was released September 30, 2015. So the version of El Capitan you have on dmg, might be too old for your machine.

Last edited:

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156
it means the system cannot find a proper system folder to boot up. Did you select usb (keep alt-key down on start up and select the usb-key)?
If so, something did not go right, with creation of the usb-key. Never done it on Windows.

Edit: Reading my link, I see it can also be caused by an unsupported version of macOS. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201686

Edit edit: El Capitan was released September 30, 2015. So the version of El Capitan you have on dmg, might be too old for your machine.
My machine came with Yosemite or El Capitan originally...don't remember.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Boot from USB installer
2. Go to Disk Utility
3. Re-initialize the internal drive (using USB installer)
4. Go to El Cap installer
5. Will it let you install now?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Were you having any issues with your MBPro that left you with the choice to try erasing the drive as a fix?
Maybe your drive is failing.

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
1. Boot from USB installer
2. Go to Disk Utility
3. Re-initialize the internal drive (using USB installer)
4. Go to El Cap installer
5. Will it let you install now?

I can't do Step 1 because of the "stop sign".

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I can't do Step 1 because of the "stop sign".
I am curious if that is a "stop sign" at the point when you choose a drive for installing macOS --- or, you see a "prohibited" sign (a circle with a slash).
The two do not mean the same thing.
If it won't boot (with the slashed circle), then your installer is either incorrectly created, or you are trying to install with a system that is not supported by your Mac.
If you get an actual "stop sign", indicating that there is some issue with the format of the selected drive - be sure to try erasing that drive again, using Disk Utility while booted to your bootable installer.

If you simply can't boot to the installer, then you need to make your installer again, following the instructions in the link in post #5 - or download and use DiskmakerX to make an installer partition from your downloaded installer app. That makes the process of creating a USB installer quite simple (you don't have to wade through the terminal :D )

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
I am curious if that is a "stop sign" at the point when you choose a drive for installing macOS --- or, you see a "prohibited" sign (a circle with a slash).
The two do not mean the same thing.
If it won't boot (with the slashed circle), then your installer is either incorrectly created, or you are trying to install with a system that is not supported by your Mac.
If you get an actual "stop sign", indicating that there is some issue with the format of the selected drive - be sure to try erasing that drive again, using Disk Utility while booted to your bootable installer.

If you simply can't boot to the installer, then you need to make your installer again, following the instructions in the link in post #5 - or download and use DiskmakerX to make an installer partition from your downloaded installer app. That makes the process of creating a USB installer quite simple (you don't have to wade through the terminal :D )
Thanks. It's the Prohibited sign, actually. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any Macs.
Any way to do it in windows?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You already showed a link that you used to make an OS X installer using Windows.
Here's another link that seems to be much the same (using TransMac)
That process does NOT look like it will work correctly. The process on a Mac uses a tool called "createinstallmedia", which the TransMac process does not appear to use. Not sure how that would leave you with a bootable partition.
And, it did not work for you. You could try the Transmac steps again. Download the macOS installer app from another source. El Capitan is more than 6GB, so a large download.
You may still run into the same issue (no bootable installer, with that same "prohibited" symbol.

MUCH LESS frustration would be to find a Mac.
OR --- Go to an Apple store, explain your situation, ask them if they can help you with making a bootable installer, as you don't have a working Mac (and no suitable internet connection either). The Apple store will usually help you out with that, or use a Mac in the store to do the job yourself.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
You already showed a link that you used to make an OS X installer using Windows.
Here's another link that seems to be much the same (using TransMac)
That process does NOT look like it will work correctly. The process on a Mac uses a tool called "createinstallmedia", which the TransMac process does not appear to use. Not sure how that would leave you with a bootable partition.
And, it did not work for you. You could try the Transmac steps again. Download the macOS installer app from another source. El Capitan is more than 6GB, so a large download.
You may still run into the same issue (no bootable installer, with that same "prohibited" symbol.

MUCH LESS frustration would be to find a Mac.
OR --- Go to an Apple store, explain your situation, ask them if they can help you with making a bootable installer, as you don't have a working Mac (and no suitable internet connection either). The Apple store will usually help you out with that, or use a Mac in the store to do the job yourself.
+1 on this...

I would make a Genius Bar appointment. They will be willing to help you regardless of warranty standing.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Thanks. It's the Prohibited sign, actually. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any Macs.
Any way to do it in windows?"

No, there isn't.
You have to do it using the Mac OS.

As others have suggested, perhaps it's time to take it to the Genius Bar.

If you can't get things working that way, I suggest this.
1. Go on ebay.
2. There are sellers there who will sell you a USB flash drive with the Mac OS installer of your choice pre-installed on it.
3. The cost is reasonable -- buy one.
4. Boot from the USB installer, re-initialize the internal drive, and re-install the OS.

In the future, I suggest you also buy a USB3 external drive. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a BOOTABLE cloned backup of your internal drive.

If you had one of those, you would not be here pleading for help.
Your problems would be fixed already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.