Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pheii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Forgive me if I don't sound very smart here.

I was trying to use Bootcamp Assistant, and I was just following the steps, so I inserted a RW-DVD and let the mac do whatever it needed to, but I quit it halfway by accident (after writing stuff on the DVD disk), so I have all the stuff stuck on the DVD disk which I can't drag into the trash. And I tried erasing the contents with Disk Utility, but Disk Utility says: The disk in this drive can't be erased. I don't want to waste this perfectly fine DVD with a bunch of stuff that aren't working properly.

Help, anyone? :confused:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
That's very odd - Disk Utility should have let you erase it using the method that you did. Are you sure that the disk actually had started writing (did you hear it spinning?) from the Boot Camp installer? Edit: sorry, didn't notice the part about it starting to write).

As a side note, is your Mac new? If so, you can just use the first of the two DVDs that you got with it. Those have BootCamp on them; and you could skip the burning step entirely. If it's an out-of-date version, it will allow you to update it using Apple Software Update on Windows.

Last edited:

Pheii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Yes, it says on the DVD that it's an RW-DVD.
Thanks for letting me know about the existing Bootcamp Assistant on the CDs. :) I'll try it. (It is a new macbook pro.)

BUT...

Anything else to do about erasing the disk? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.