Erasing all content

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by creed16, Sep 5, 2014.

1. creed16 macrumors member

Please forgive me for the silly post, but I have tried searching and cannot find exactly what I need to know. I just need to be sure when I erase all content and settings on my iphone 5 icloud is then unlocked? I have sold it and my buyer wanted me to double check that it is indeed unlocked and I am not quite sure I know the answer to that? What else do I need to do to be sure my buyer is able to use the phone?
    Thank you!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unlocked means it can be used on different carriers/providers. It doesn't really relate much to data on the phone or iCloud or anything like that. One sure way to know is to put a SIM from another carrier into the phone and to see if it works.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you don't know what an unlocked iphone is?

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

Yes, activation lock is removed when you erase all content and settings :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Did you and AppleJuiced even read the OP? He wants to make sure that when he erases the phone to sell it, that it is no longer locked to his iCloud account.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Read it again.
    That's not what the buyer is asking him.
    If the phone is unlocked and if iCloud is removed are 2 different things.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like there's talk of the phone being unlocked and not much mention about Activation Lock. The terminology has perhaps been somewhat mixed up. So I guess the question is what is the actual question about--the phone actually being unlocked, or the phone still having Find My iPhone activated on it and Activation Lock enabled.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

" I just need to be sure when I erase all content and settings on my iphone 5 icloud is then unlocked?"

Seems to be wanting to make sure that it is no longer locked to his iCloud account.

9. C DM, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

The terminology of saying "iCloud is unlocked" isn't something that is typically used. Activation Lock is enabled or disabled, while locked and unlocked will generally refer to something else with cell phones. That said, I can see someone describing it the way that the OP did it and meaning Activation Lock.

Upon reading the OP once the first time before responding it seemed like the question was about whether the phone was unlocked or not (referring to carrier locking), especially with the buyer wondering if it's unlocked. Rereading it slower I can see it potentially applying to Activation Lock with a slightly less than typical way of referring to it.

If that's what was meant then usually resetting all settings and deleting all data will take care of it (as it should ask to deactivate Find My iPhone during that process, which will deactivate Activation Lock).

10. Zxxv Suspended

seemed pretty obvious to me too :)

----------

you can log into your apple account online via safari on a computer and see your devices. If the iPhone is still listed remove it. If its not listed then its not tied to your apple or iCloud account.

11. Juub macrumors newbie

He mixed them up. He obviously means the iCloud lock feature.

OP when you do ''Erase All Content and Settings'' it'll prompt you to disable Find my Device by entering your password. Once you enter it, it should disable ''Find my iPhone'' lock from the device.

To make sure it is removed. Go on your iCloud account, then Find my iPhone and make sure your phone doesn't show up in your list of devices. If it does, iCloud will lock it when the new owner will try to activate it.