erasing an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeditor, Jun 18, 2016.

1. jeditor macrumors newbie

jeditor

I have removed the sim card from my iPhone 4. I have no internet on it. I am trying to erase all the content due to it being full of movies and music I no longer care for. I tried to do the hard reset, but it requires my iCloud/apple ID. I can't do this without my sim. do I have any options? Thank you in advance.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Connect to WiFi. You may not have it at home - visit a neighbor, go to a coffee shop...

3. jeditor thread starter macrumors newbie

jeditor

I have no sim card, I don't think I can without it. Thank you for responding.

4. minato21 macrumors regular

You can do it without a sim card, you just need an active connection (hotspot, wifi)
    Or just manually delete your movies/music

5. rigormortis, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

You need a SIM card to activate it after you erase it. You shouldnt need a SIM card when you are connected with wifi with an iPhone that is already activated. The SIM card doesn't need to be activated or have service. Just put any dead sim you have in it. And then do the erase all content and settings when connected to wifi.

If this does not help. And you believe you need an active sim, one other possibility is to go to iCloud.com and erase it from the website, and then tell the website to remove it from iCloud.

That way , when the iPhone 4 does connect , it will automatically erase itself

I often get worried selling iPads on ebay. I sold my my ipad locked to iCloud because I was so worried about Someone in the Mail stealing it. I made the guy email me saying he signed it, before I released it.

I wouldn't bother deleting your movies manually. The iPhone should let you erase all content and settings , and that way it will clear all your stuff and be like a new phone to the next owner

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No so. WiFi will do it.

7. Sare2514 macrumors newbie

Sare2514

Definitely you can do it without a sim card, you just need an computer and a cable. You can connect your iPhone 4 with your computer, then you can use this tool to preview your data on your iPhone, and select the content which you want to erase. It can completely delete all content on iPhone, and keep the content that can not be recovered anymore. Hope it helps.

8. William Wales macrumors member

William Wales

Hello, jeditor. Actually, without the sim card. we still can erase our iPhone. You should have a try.