Erasing an SD card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by creativedogmedia, Dec 10, 2015.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I have an SD card that will not erase in SD Formatter, Disk Utility, Finder or any other program I have tried. I don't want to reformat in the camera as it also contains a firmware update and I don't want to risk bricking the cam. There are some corrupt files on it. I am beyond recovery and just want to start fresh. Is there anything out there that I am missing?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Reformatting in camera shouldn't brick anything as you are erasing it.

If you are having issues erasing it and files are corrupt, maybe the SD card is broken?

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

It's kind of a unique situation. It's a MFT camera on an aerial platform. Firmware is loaded to the cam by putting a file in the root directory of the card. I have new firmware on the cam. I don't want to put this card in the cam in case that actual file is the corrupt file. Just don't want to take any chances.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

For Canon cameras (and likely all cameras) you also put firmware in the root directory, but you have to select updating the firmware in the camera before anything happens. Is it not the same here?

So delete the firmware file? Are you having issues with reformatting or deleting files? Because if you cannot even delete files then the card could be broken.

Maybe the write-protect tab on the side is engaged? It has to be fully raised to unlock.

5. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

There is no selecting of the file on this cam. If it's there and newer the firmware updates. I can't delete any of the files. Write protection is off. SanDisk couldn't even fix. They are replacing for free. Thanks for the replies.