Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pd9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
so i want to do an erase and install to upgrade my macbook.
a little background:
Mac OS X 10.4
Intel Core Duo

My questions are how difficult is it to erase and install? What is needed, just an upgrade CD? I plan on backing up files on an external hard drive just by dragging and dropping. I would also like to retain my copy of Office 2004. I do not have a .dmg for office... is there a way to backup office? also what are some other tips and hints involved?

I used to play around with PCs in my teenage years enough to the point where i got to know how to use them pretty well. I have had a macbook since 2007 and have not had one single issue, therefore i havent learned the ins and outs as well as i knew PCs so im kind of apprehensive when it comes to doing this upgrade so any info would be greatly appreciated. and i tried search with no results so sorry for the noob questions. TIA

pd9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
is there anyway i can somehow backup office on my external hard drive without having a dmg?

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
You could use CarbonCopyCloner or something of the sort to clone your HD and then restore using that and it will transfer all you settings and applications and everything of the sort.

pd9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
i would rather not clone my HD because im looking forward to clearing out the clutter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.