Erasing and reinstalling Mac G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andrew07, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

How do I do this? My G5 has been running a bit slower these past few months so I think a clean reinstall might do it some good. I've found the three installation discs and backed up anything I wanted to keep onto an external drive. Right now I'm at 10.4.8....now what? :)

2. justinm macrumors member

Insert the Install Disc and hold C at startup

Select erase and install and your good to go. Just make sure you have everything you want backed up!

3. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, now I'm running on a fresh install. I've checked for/installed updates 3 or 4 times, and when I check now under 'Software Updates' it doesn't tell me to download anything....but I'm on version 10.3.9 and iTunes isn't the current version. Will I have to get updates manually now or what?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The reason is that you aren't running Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.X). The latest version of iTunes probably requires Mac OS X 10.4.10, which explains why it's not showing up in your Software Update. Do you still have your Mac OS X 10.4.X install disc? If you do, go ahead and install that.

5. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't find the tiger disc for the G5....i just got a Macbook Pro a couple months ago, could I use that install disc?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No. That disc only contains Intel components, which will not work on your G5. Leopard will be the first OS release that has retail discs that are Universal - both PowerPC and Intel code will be included.

You'll need a Tiger retail disc for your G5 - those are PowerPC-only, and will work.

7. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bummer. Will I need to upgrade to Tiger before going to Leopard? Or can I go from 10.3.9 straight to Leopard?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You should be able to go directly to Leopard from 10.3.9, if not via a simple upgrade, via an Archive and Install.

9. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, will hold out for another month then. Thanks for all the help!!