Erasing Bootcamp Partition issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Maggiedrum, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Maggiedrum macrumors newbie

I am not an expert so please bear with me. I have a macbook pro - 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB men, 250GB Seagate drive, OSX 10.9.2.

I had installed a Windows partition using Bootcamp a couple of years ago, but I have never really used it since. I don't remember how many GB it had but probably 25GB. Today I got a message that my Startup disk was getting full and I needed more space. I tried to erase and remove the Windows partition using Bootcamp. It started fine and I left it for awhile. I came back and it said there had been an error in erasing the partition. (Duh - I didn't write down the error message).

I restarted Bootcamp to redo but Bootcamp did not show a Windows partition. Neither did my Mac's Disk Utility. BUT - I didn't get any more GBs freed. DU shows 215 GB total, 203 used, and 11+ available on my 250 GB drive. Finder also does not show another partition.

I tried using Disk Utility to clean up free space and that works fine as far as I can tell but it does not give me any more GB available (and I didn't expect it too).

So Bootcamp doesn't think there is a partition, and maybe there isn't. It looks like I should have 25GB more but I don't. I got another warning to delete files to get more room on my Startup disk. What am I doing or not doing to work this out? Thanks for any help.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you take a screenshot of what you see in Disk Util and post it up here so we can take a look.

3. Maggiedrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen shot of Disk Utility

Here's the screen shot. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I apologize. I should have been more specific. :eek:

Select the drive at the top where it says 250GB... then click the partition tab and post a screenshot of that.

5. Maggiedrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Partition shot

Hope this helps....

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... looks like you did get rid of the Bootcamp partitition and now all you need to do is expand the Mac partition into the empty space.

Just grab the bottom right corner of the blue area there where I pointed and drag that all the way to the bottom to fill the partition. Then click apply. That should fix you up.

This will non-destructively increase the size of the partitition, but you should make a backup first just to be on the safe side.

[​IMG]

7. Maggiedrum, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

Maggiedrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Weaselboy - you nailed it. I backedup my files and then pulled the partition down. I now have 249.2GB of space for my Startup disk. I should have paid more attention to the disk utility screens. Thanks again. (and I learned how to do a screen shot!)

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh good. Glad we got you fixed up. :)