Erasing data and doing a fresh install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Illegit, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Illegit macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Mac and have transferred all of my data over to it. I want to clear all of my private data from my old Mac, including my Windows partition, and then do a fresh install of Leopard. How should I go about doing this?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

From the install disc, when you boot from it (holding C during boot) you can open Disk Utility off the DVD. Then choose to erase the drive. You can go with a simple erase or zero out the drive, which is a more efficient erase.

3. Illegit thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, once I erase the data, is there a way to install OS X so it is completely up to date and does not have me as a user? Meaning that when I sell the laptop, the purchaser would just have to create an account on the computer and be ready to go.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Nope, you'd need to log in to run software update. Even if you did it, by the time they got it home and used it, there would be new software updates to DL. Just put a clean install on it like it came form the factory.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

On my old iBook, what I did was create a temp account with o password and did all the updates before selling, just to be nice to the guy. I don't know of any other way to update the machine.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah but then he doesn't get to watch the cool "welcome to OS X video" at the beginning.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Do the updates, then delete the "AppleSetupDone" file (Google it), and you'll get the pretty movie with a request to create a new account on the next start up.

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I think that video is on the HDD

Just find it, and put a shortcut on desktop. I just figured out a way to have it open at login with applescript/Terminal, but it would always open unless the user disables the startup item