Erasing data ? / Have jailbroken iphone 3gs and I want to

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RoadWins, Sep 9, 2010.

1. RoadWins macrumors newbie

to erase my data and sell the phone. It is 4.0.1 jailbreakme.com and Ultrasn0w 1.1-1. Surely there is something on Cydia that will do this. Have searched and the only thing I see is erase all data and rejailbreak. I am worried I will end up upgrading the phone and not be able to jailbreak. Any help?

2. RoadWins thread starter macrumors newbie

Alternately if I erase all settings how do I set it up without it upgrading to 4.1?

Thanks

3. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If your SHSH blobs are saved with Cydia, DFU restore to the latest OS that Cydia has on file and re-JB.

An erase all with most JB devices likely will end you up with an inoperable phone until you DFU restore it.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t know what you mean. Erase all content and erase all settings are the same thing. You’ll make the phone un-jailbreakable on 4.0 and locked for the foreseeable future. Don’t do it.

I would just sync the phone with nothing and do a reset all settings (not the same as an erase all). Anyone wanting to get info that is on the iPhone will have to do a lot of work, if they can even recover anything.

Edit: Or do what the poster above stated, IF you have the blobs saved.

5. RoadWins thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to clear all my personal data so I can sell the phone. But I want to sell it jailbroken so I don't want it to upgrade to 4.1. I have an Iphone 4 so want to get rid of my 3gs but I am very new to jailbreaking.

6. RoadWins thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this work?

Have been searching all day but every time I find a helpful post there are 15 that say don't do it that way. I want to keep my jailbreak and remove all personal info from phone SHSH Blobs are on cydia.

can I

1. Click erase all content and Settings

2. Change itunes host file to cydia

3. restore using itunes using 4.0.1 (do I have to be in DFU mode)

4 rejailbreak.

or am I missing a step.

ie do I have to upgrade to 4.1 then go back to 4.0.1?

7. RoadWins thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW I really can't believe an app developer has not written an app that will do this

Would be a real money maker