Erasing Duplicate Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zachlegomaniac, Apr 16, 2015.

1. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Does any know the best way to erase duplicates in the new Photos App? I know there's a lot of third party software out there for iPhoto, but I have also heard that many of them don't work (or should not be used) with Photos (even if they claim it does).

Thanks!

2. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Good question and one I would see answered.

I seem to notice many duplicates within Photos since upgrading to said app...:(

3. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Just wondering if anyone has come across any apps that can work with the new photos app to accomplish this...

4. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

5. idoccurt macrumors regular

6. zachlegomaniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

What's the best way to be careful? Can you be more specific? I have an external hard drive and carbonate gives me backup of all my files, deleted or not, for 30 days. Do you never delete anything from your photo library?

Thanks.

7. RussellMay macrumors newbie

App for identifying duplicates in Photos libraries

I use a good software product designed to assist in maintaining multiple Photo's libraries and it has a very good 'Find Duplicates' function. There are several options available when determining what happens to the duplicates found. You do not have to deleted them, you can just tag them with a 'Duplicate' keyword and make your decision later as to which version to keep.

The application is called PowerPhotos and the web site offers a free trial download, so at least you can have a look at it and decide if this will help you.

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/