Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
I want to sell my mac and erase my data from it so that no one can retrieve it later. Is it possible to completely erase the data, or is my mac doomed to dust away.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What kind of Mac are the in selling?

If not has a removable 2.5" or 3.5" mechanical sata drive, you could remove it, put it into a usb enclosure and secure erase it using another computer. I personally used windows machine to secure erase drives for sale, put them back into the Mac, and I'm install a fresh os.

If it's non-apple ssd, I do that same thing except I look for software from the drive manufacturer to erase.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hard Drive:
Secure erase the drive from recovery mode. Do a seven pass secure erase.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-to-wipe-a-mac-hard-drive/

I know a single pass is enough. I prefer the seven pass. You just set it and let it run for a day or two. What's the harm? It won't take you any extra effort. You just set it and check back the next day. Unless you are in a rush to sell, why not?

I do this for two reasons. To ensure the data is gone. To ensure the hard drive functions under extended load. If it handles that. You can be reasonably assured you are selling a computer with a reliable hard drive.

Solid State Drive:
If on an SSD. Turn on FileVault. Let it encrypt the drive. Fill it up with random data, then repartition with a clean install. The encryption will have scrambled any files beyond recovery.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hard Drive:
Secure erase the drive from recovery mode. Do a seven pass secure erase.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-to-wipe-a-mac-hard-drive/

I know a single pass is enough. I prefer the seven pass. You just set it and let it run for a day or two. What's the harm? It won't take you any extra effort. You just set it and check back the next day. Unless you are in a rush to sell, why not?

I do this for two reasons. To ensure the data is gone. To ensure the hard drive functions under extended load. If it handles that. You can be reasonably assured you are selling a computer with a reliable hard drive.

Solid State Drive:
If on an SSD. Turn on FileVault. Let it encrypt the drive. Fill it up with random data, then repartition with a clean install. The encryption will have scrambled any files beyond recovery.
I prefer a double pass, but if you have the time/patience I guess the 7 pass would suffice. ;)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I prefer a double pass, but if you have the time/patience I guess the 7 pass would suffice. ;)

I suppose it depends on how hurried you are. I usually won't remember to check on it for a few days. It's just something I do when bored for extra money. Whenever the computer I'm given from somebody is upgraded with old spare parts, properly wiped with a fresh OS install and what I consider essential general purpose software (libreoffice, VLC, Chrome (w/ adblocker), Avira anti-virus (Windows)). It gets sold or donated depending on market value.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.