Erasing Free Space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Jan 15, 2009.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Im encountering space issues when erasing the HD free space! I get a popup message saying that i need to free up more space in order to get the job done. I cant remove any more data from the drive in order to make it more spacious for the free space erasing!
    Is there a way i can hook up an external drive so that it will use that extra space?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hook up external drive. Copy crap over and delete originals and voila!

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope. Your best bet is to clone your boot drive (SuperDuper! or CCC) to your external. Wipe the boot drive with whatever level of security wipe you want, and then clone the external back to your boot drive.

Hmm hadn't thought of it that way.. I suppose you could copy some of your larger items over and delete the originals on the boot drive and then do the erase free disk space option.

Still, I prefer my method as I then also have a good workable, bootable backup of my data.

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Cromulent what do you take me for? An idiot? I cant copy anything to the external drive cause everything is apps!

yellow, how do i set up the computer again if i wipe everything on my drive?

Isnt there a way to hook up the external so automatically the procedure gets to use that extra space?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I use SuperDuper!. It makes an exact bootable clone of your boot drive. Once completed, boot from the clone, wipe the original drive with whatever level of security you want, and then use SuperDuper! to clone it back from your bootable external to the original drive. If you pay the shareware fee for SuperDuper!, you unlock a "smart" feature that will update your incremental changes from your original drive (once you're using it again) to your external clone. Effectively giving you a "backup solution".

No, there is not.

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

what happens if you try to move the files using terminal.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Then copy the apps...