Erasing Hard Disk --- 7 hours on now---normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SwitchingSoon, Sep 6, 2010.

1. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

Hi, for some reason, one of the internal hard disks I bought for my mac pro wasn't showing in my finder. It shows up in disk utility--just not the finder. I wasn't sure what to do, so I decided to "erase" it (even though I never used it), and then to reinitialize it, or whatever, with the hope that it shows up in finder.

So, I chose to erase it some 7 hours ago, and I still get the message "unmounting." Is this normal? The drive is a TB, so is that why it's taking so long?

Attached Files:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If it's stuck at unmounting, something is wrong--that step should only take a few seconds. Normally I'd expect an error after a while, but you're obviously not getting one. Unless you're dong a secure erase of the drive, the erase procedure should only take a few seconds in total.

Given that you're already having issues, it's at least possible that there's actually something wrong with the drive mechanically. Or could just be a software glitch; start by restarting the computer and trying it again, to see if it reformats correctly.

3. SwitchingSoon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I stopped it.

I'm doing the repair disk. Do you know how long this should take?

Attached Files:

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems like that drive is damaged / defective.