Erasing HD to sell Mac.......

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dloreski, Nov 14, 2013.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Hi everyone.
    I just tried to search for this, but the search seems to be disabled.
    I have a 2010 13" MBP with Mavericks installed on it that I'm going to sell.
    I tried following the directions on Apples support page, but the erase options are all greyed out in Disk Utility and it will not let me erase my HD.
    Can someone point me to the simplest way (I'm not great with computers) to do this and have Mavericks back on it for the new owner?
    Thanks!
    - Dave

----------

ooops, needed to hold down command + R.
    Now it's on the way.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

you could: create a new user, i.e. "New User" (in system prefs, "users & groups"; make them an administrator. simple password (i.e. 'password'). log out, then log in to THAT account.

then, in same preference pane, DELETE your original account. completely.
    this will take EVERYTHING of yours off the mac.

when you're done, go to the Sharing preference, and change that to the new name (i.e. "New User's Macbook Pro").

check the Applications folder, and the main level of your hard drive, for any stray files you don't want on the mac.

done.

3. Bruno09, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You are not supposed to sell your Mac with Mavericks installed : since you got it from the App Store, it is tied to your Apple ID.

Therefore, your buyer will be unable to update Mavericks when the updates are released.

You should sell the computer with the disk erased and the original OS installed (Snow Leopard).
    If the buyer wishes to install Mavericks, HE will go to the App Store and get HIS copy of Mavericks.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Doesn't this just delete the file TOC and leave the data intact that could be recovered?

5. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yes, purchase of Mavericks tied into your purchase. But you don't need Apple ID to update Mavericks. I installed all updates to Mavericks on my Hackintosh without Apple ID signed in.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

How can you know this, since no update for Mavericks (i.e 10.9.1) has been released yet ?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Obtaining updates is not exclusively done in the App Store. You can download the update from the Apple support page as a .dmg, so he is right that you don't need an AppleID for updates.

8. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

There were iTunes, iBook updates installed without Apple ID. You need Apple ID to update all app purchased on App Store. But for system updates, you do not need Apple ID.

This has been done under Mountain Lion, Lion. Also you can download combo updates from Apple website. You certainly do not need Apple ID to update Mavericks. This is why you don't really need worry about software updates on Hackintosh. Most Hackinotsh installed use vanilla method or using myHack or Unibeast can update just fine without screwing up the OS. You sometimes need to reload audio driver.

9. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

So now what should I do......
    I formatted the HD....
    Now OSX Utilities is up and if I try to reinstall Mavericks, it wants my apple id.
    If I do this and sell it, will the new owner have my id?
    What is my best solution?

10. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No they will not. Just command-r boot to recovery are use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD then quit Disk Util and click install OS. That will give you a fresh install of nothing but Mavs.

Technically, this violates Apple's licensing agreement for the OS, but with Mavs now being free, as a practical matter I don't think we are going to see the Apple Police running around checking on this.

Just tell the new owner to login to the App Store and "purchase" Mavs under his own AppleID in case he ever wants to reinstall.