erasing HD/uninstall OS/reformatting question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joru100, Nov 28, 2008.

1. joru100 macrumors newbie

I bought a new iMac with Leopard installed a few weeks ago. I want to erase the HD on my iMac completely and uninstall Leopard, because I want to install it on my Macbook Pro that has Tiger as its OS instead. I'll have to erase the HD and uninstall Tiger on my Macbook Pro, then install Tiger on my Imac as well. How do I this? I have all the disks/software... thanks

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If you have a backup of your important informations you just have to erase each drive and reinstall the desired operating system. To do that you will need to boot from the install discs (those of the operating system you want to use).

One important thing is to be sure to have a retail version of the operating systems, since the disc that came with each machine are specific and won't work on another machine. E.g. you won't be able to use the macbook pro discs on the imac if they are not retail discs.

Anayway, may I ask you why you want to keep Tiger on one of the machine? Is it just to save money or you have another reason? If you don't have a retail version you could get one and use it to install leopard on the macbook pro.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

so basically you want to downgrade the iMac to Tiger, and upgrade the MBP to Leopard? Why?

Anyway, you can't do that with the disks that came with the computers - those are specific to the machine they came with and won't work on another one. You need retail copies of Leopard and Tiger. This whole thing seems like an exercise in futility though...

edit: whoops, didn't see the poster above me gave the exact same response...