Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodles906

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
I lost my iphone, and after getting the carrier to suspend the number and access to my data, reporting it lost to the police, and using the Find My iPhone app to put it in Lost mode, after a few days I gave it the erase function in Find My iPhone. According to the app, the phone had not accessed the internet since the day I lost it, and the 'Lost' instruction was still pending when I pressed the erase button (waiting for the phone to access the internet). The erase instruction was then confirmed as pending. After a few days, I got the Apple email that my phone was erasing, and the Find My iPhone app confirmed this. This means the phone went online.

I'm puzzled, though, and maybe someone can answer this? If the phone was locked with a password, how is it possible for the phone to go online? I'd be interested to know if this is a matter of by-passing or breaking the password, which might be easier than I had supposed, or is there some other method?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.