Erasing iPhone for sale?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Toby Goodbar, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 32gb

The touch screen stopped working so i upgraded and sold the phone. I'm going to ship it out BUT i just realized I don't know how to get my personal info off.

The phone is jailbroken to iOS 6

The only idea i have is to use icloud's "erase contents and settings" from the web log in but I have no idea what happens to the phone after that. Will it still be jailbroken on iOS 6 and ready to go? (since thats how it was advertised).

Open ssh is installed on it.
    Veency is not…or at least if it is, not turned on.

Open to ideas and info please!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Put it into DFU mode and restore from there. Should not require any touch input.

3. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Can't. Its on iOS 6 and jailbroken. Doing that would require an upgrade to 7.1.1

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Wiping the phone via remote wipe is going to cause issues much like trying to erase all contents in settings. Keeping your jailbreak intact will require you to manually erase everything. There is a tweak on cydia that lets you remove all jailbreak tweaks (minus the essentials) in one go around. Don't recall what it is called, but you cans search for it... it's been a long while since I jailbroke anything.

5. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Upgrade to 7.1.1 and use the new Jailbreak ?

6. 617aircav Suspended

maybe the buyer wants ios 6.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I purposely kept iOS 6 on the iPhone 5 when I ebayed it last year thinking it might possibly increase resale value or make it easier to sell among iOS 7 haters. Didn't impact it one iota so I guess their days were numbered.

8. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Is there any benefit of keeping a 6 ?