Erasing my hard disk

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lon3lysnake, Nov 9, 2008.

1. lon3lysnake macrumors newbie

I have a little trouble with erasing the hard disk on my mac pro. First off, according to the procedure, I inserted the OSX 10.5 into my macpro before restarting, then I hold the C button which suppose to boot to the installation interface where I can go to disk utility and erase the disk, but instead, after holding C, it took a while to load and there's a message telling me to restart the computer. I did what the instruction told me, so I hold the power button until the it shuts down, then I push the button again to restart, but the same message came up telling me to restart. I have done this over and over again, and it doesn't seem working at all.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you using the disc that came with your computer or one from a different computer system? A purchased retail disc? I can't figure out why you'd be getting a kernel panic from trying to boot up to a disc...

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Do you have a 2006 or 2008 Mac Pro? Is your 10.5 disc one of the first retail ones (meaning 10.5.0) or later? Do you have the 3870 or 8800 GT installed?

4. lon3lysnake thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a 1st gen macpro with 8800GT, and I am using OSX 10.5 which I bought from apple store separately from the macpro.

5. Catch Them macrumors regular

what version of the 10.5 disc is it? (ie; 10.5.0, 10.5.1, 10.5.2 etc etc)

because if its below 10.5.2 then it will not load....as the previous ones (lower than 10.5.2 do not have the graphics support for the legacy drivers of the 8800 for the 1st gen macpro)

you may need to place the older card into the next open PCIe slot and then try it again.

then you can go forward and erase the drive and just take out the old graphics card.
    (unless youre resintalling leopard....wait till you update the latest 10.5.5 version to remove the old card...)

6. lon3lysnake thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a 10.5 leopard, is it really necessary to use the old card? I got rid of it last month, so I'm only having the 8800GT.

What if I get another new hard disk, can I install OSX 10.5 with it?

7. Catch Them macrumors regular

Disk as in Hard Disk? or Leopard disk?

If a new hard disk..no. As changing harddrive disk will not be a factor.
    As the leopard-disk you have now is probably 10.5.0 and does not have the graphics update/drivers installed (because the 8800 came out abit after 10.5.2 and that (10.5.2) contains the necessary drivers for the legacy card)

But if you got a replacement Leopard disk, get the latest one if possible ..but anything 10.5.2 and above then you can do what you need to whenever.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

And I believe there have only been two releases so far of the retail disk- 10.5 and 10.5.4. The one you would need would be the later- and the retail packages have a sticker on them that clearly identify it as version 10.5.4 so that helps.