Ergonomic chair description and Picture

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by michaelk7, Oct 28, 2012.

1. michaelk7 macrumors member

I scanned history and noticed the chair question was flamed for asking. yet...

After severe back problems from years of setting at a computer. I am searching for another good chair. The Human Scale Freedom Chair at work doesn't seem as comfortable as it was.

For users that spend hours at work or at a home office and practice ergonomics in the workplace would you please let me know what chair you have found most comfortable and if possible a pic of your ergonomic workplace.

An ergonomically correct, monitor stand, light, and foot rest becomes a priority over time. My true wish is that a few would benefit from your description, possible picture, and thoughts on your setup. It could save many users pain in the future.

Thank you for your advice and assistance in helping me find a good chair!

Michael

2. Miat macrumors 6502

If you are serious about an ergonomic chair, then getting one custom built to your body shape (especially for your back) is the real answer.

Any production line job is going to be a compromise.

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

4. michaelk7 thread starter macrumors member

That is a chair that looks very comfortable. Good support for lower back? I'm sure it's much better that the Aeron.

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I found that an adjustable footrest is a huge help. I have an Aeron chair, and it's fine, but a year ago when I was in it 8-10 hours a day it was the footrest that made the difference.

Prices are all over the place. The one I use (FR330) is not not too expensive and definitely not pretty but it tilts (even away from you) and adjusts and that turned out to be important to me.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ergonomics/home/products/adjustablefootrests/

6. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Good support all over. the back of the chair flexes in every direction, so it provides support even as you twist your body from side to side. It's hard to describe. If there's a Healthy Back store in your area, they have them on display - go give it a test sit. Yes, I tried an Aeron, and every other chair in the store - this was much better, at least for me. As others have mentioned, the foot rest made the chair feel even better.

I was surprised to find that Healthy Back prices were also the same as I could find online.

7. Check 6 macrumors regular

I too have a bad back with numerous discs damaged or totally degenerated causing constant discomfort. I actually have two chairs for my desk and I switch back and forth. I have a Steelcase and a "body built" by Ergo Geniuses . Both are good chairs, just different and I switch back and forth as my back dictates.

8. michaelk7 thread starter macrumors member

Purchased a foot stool and it seems to give a bit of relief. Different than having feet flat on floor. As Check mentioned I looked at the Steelcase site. It looks like a nice chair for the compared to cost of others.

I will be bold and ask. Does the comfort or quality of the ergonomic chair run in direct proportion to the cost of the chair? The Humanscale and Millers cost, yet I have noticed in reviews the Steelcase was rated well.

Check 6, I feel for you. Good luck in our pain!

Thank you for your help
    Michael