ergonomic iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lrosenb1, Feb 16, 2012.

1. lrosenb1 macrumors newbie

i'm 6'3" with poor eyesight (corrected with eyeglasses, but still) and it's painful to hunch over my Macbook Pro to do just about anything--even type.

i'm trying to decide between the following two solutions, although i'd love to hear about any alternative ideas.

1) upgrading (from Leopard to Snow Leopard and then to Lion) my Macbook Pro so i can take advantage of the wireless keyboard and trackpad that seem only to be compatible with Lion. then combining the wireless accessories with the rain design mstand to get the Macbook screen up higher, closer to eye level.

2) buying the 21.5" iMac with wireless accessories and using a desk mounted arm, such as the Ergotron mount sold in the Apple Store, to adjust it to eye level. (i am also considering this desk, http://www.versatables.com/pages/products/drafting/at4830-env.php, which can be customized with a monitor mounting spider arm.)

i am leaning toward the 21.5" iMac as opposed to the 27" display or iMac, because i saw some threads stating that the 27" was "too large" and hurt the eyes. (i realize this might just require time to adjust.) i also figure my life will be easier if i have the iMac running Lion to begin with than dealing with all the upgrades that i would have to make to use the display with my Macbook Pro, in order to use the wireless trackpad that is only compatible with Lion.

what do you think? anyone here with a similar problem and solution?

2. simsaladimbamba

The Magic Trackpad is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard, according to Apple:
    As for what to get, it is up to you, if you value mobility or can live without it.
    The 21.5" iMac will have better visibility though, as the PPI is a bit less than with the standard 15.4" MBP.

3. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I struggled with similar situation, eyesight and a 17" Macbook Pro.

I too was concerned that the 27" iMac might present a similar readability problem as the 17" MBP, but after several visits to the Apple Store and a few hours on their iMacs I resolved the issue for me.

My solution ....

Sold the MBP and took the loss. ( got $1800 for what cost me $2700 )

Kicked in the additional money and bought the 27" iMac with 3.4 ghz i7 CPU

For input I use the following .....

Bluetooth Keyboard
    Bluetooth Mouse
    Bluetooth Trackpad

We already have one 24" iMac and in comparison to that the 27" is a little bit wider.

4. lrosenb1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, the trackpad will work with Snow Leopard.

I already have the Macbook Pro, so there's no mobility trade-off.

I am interested in the visibility PPI, if it's better with the 21.5".

For the person who has the 27", do you find it too large at all? Are you using it with the stand or a mounted arm? I prefer to have the screen at eye level, which for me is pretty high off the desk.

For anyone who is using a mounted arm to hold the screen above the desk: how high can you get it? I've seen reviews that put the 27" at just a few inches above the desk, because of its weight, and other reviews that put the 21.5" just 5" above the desk, which is not much better than the stand anyway. (That's why I'm considering the Versatable as well, because the desk itself can be raised and tilted up to get the monitor arm higher--assuming I use an Ergotron arm and not the Versatable factory add-on, which doesn't mount to the desk itself.)

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

I have the 27" iMac, and have self-inflicted poor eyesight (shortsighted). The iMac is just over an arm's length away.

At first the iMac was a real struggle, and I almost regretted the purchase. However, you do tend to adjust to it. The only major issue is that, even at around 2.5 feet away, it is still huge!

The 21.5 inch, put a bit closer to you, sounds like the best idea, quite frankly.

6. yashi macrumors member

I didn't experience any eye issues when I first got my 27", but I did experience some neck strain from looking up. I've since moved it as far back as I could, adjusted my chair, and also gotten used to it. No issues since.

7. Unkei macrumors member

Unkei

ergonomic iMac

Hey Irosenb1.
    Because of my cataracts. I bought the 21.5 iMac and a Magic Trackpad to make use of the two finger tap zoom feature. Also, even though I have a beautiful Oak Rolltop Desk, I use the iMac in our family room on a Tray Table on wheels, ( think Hospital Food Tray) but in a nice stained wood with a small drawer. After seeing an ad in a Mac mag for a tray holding the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad, I made my own for free with some thin attractive wood from my scrap pile. Now, I just roll the Tray Table over in front of my Recliner and use the iMac while my wife watches the plasma TV!
    Unkei

8. IPlayFair macrumors member

To late now but you might have been better off buying a larger external monitor and not taking the loss.