Ergonomics and neck strain with 30" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lvanhoff, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Lvanhoff macrumors newbie

So I quite gleefully bought a 30" Cinema Display as a fabulous splurge for myself. However, when it sits on a desk and I sit in my chair, the top of the monitor is about a foot above my head which causes horrible neck aches after an hour or so. I sit at my desk on the computer ALL day long most days. And I just set up a new office, so the desk and chair are new...I'd rather not start over with furniture as I just bought all this stuff and love it. If I get a really high chair, my legs won't fit under the desk and the keyboard and mouse will be a mile below. I can not figure out how to get my head higher to the top of the screen so I'm not craning my neck upwards all day and still be able to work normally at my desk with my hands.

Any ideas please????

Thanks!
    Laura

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This will sound bad but can you post a pic from the side of your chair and desk? How tall are you?
    I'm not tall at all and my chair is raised to the highest point and yet still allows me to put my feet on the ground. I find the 30" for me if I am sitting up straight is at least 6" above my head. My desk is 29" off the floor. I am not home to measure (not to mention the 30" is back in a box until I unpack) how high the top of the display is from the desk. Can you do that/

Honestly, for me I am not looking up much but my eyes are looking upwards. I would know if it were my neck.

I think you may also be able to pivot the display panel down just slightly without losing something on the lower end. I believe I have this at about 1/2". I do not notice it and it helps with the height.

3. Lvanhoff thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if I drew a straight line to the screen from my eyes, it would hit the screen at just above the midpoint of the monitor. I most definitely have to look up to see the top of the screen. But my chair is just a regular dining room kind of chair...comfy but maybe I need to try a chair I can raise and tilt. I suspect that will help.