Ergonomics of the Trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jynto, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2012
    Nottingham, UK
    I use my Macbook Pro a lot of the time (usually more than 8 hours a day, if Time Track is to be believed), and its multitouch trackpad is probably my favourite feature. I use it all the time, have all the gestures committed to muscle memory, and have even created some gestures of my own thanks to BetterTouchTool.

But still I sometimes worry what that does to my hand, with regards to repetative strain injury, etc. After a long-ish period of use, my scrolling fingers do feel a little stiff. And whilst it's not a major problem yet, I do want to get into good habits.

What do you recommend to ensure my hands last me into old age? I am left-handed, but I use my right hand primarily, so perhaps I could learn to switch to my left hand for short periods. Any tips for doing this?

I am tempted to buy a Magic Mouse, and use it some of the time when I am at home. The one thing putting me off is that a lot of people have said it's not very comfortable. I know it doesn't do all the gestures, but I can use BetterTouchTool to fill in the gaps, so that's less of an issue. If anyone here owns a Magic Mouse, could you please tell me about your experience with it. Is it too small for your hand? (My hands are about average size)

There was a rumour back in August of a Magic Mouse refresh (when Apple discontinued the part number). I could certainly hold out a few months longer if they were going to release a better one, especially if it was ergonomically improved. What are the chances of this happening?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Soak them in unicorn tears.

If you notice your hands getting tired, stand up and take a break.
  3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

Nov 23, 2009
    NZ, South Pacific
    If a numbness, stinging, tingling, burning or any other sensation of discomfort in your hand, wrist or fingers, immediately stop using the Trackpad. If symptoms persist, consult your healthcare professional.
  4. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2012
    The Magic Mouse was a bit weird at first purely because of how flat it is compared to the PC mice I've used and currently use in work. Looking forward to getting a trackpad though. Double it up, use whatever takes your fancy. :)