Erm... how do I turn off my Apple TV?!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by suburbiton, Mar 13, 2009.

1. suburbiton macrumors member

Please say it isn't by pressing menu several times to get back to the top level, selecting settings and then selecting Standby.

I'm hoping, like an iPod, there a 'press-and-hold' option.

Or there's always the 'pull-out-the-plug' option, but it seems a bit last century.

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Nope- there is stand-by from the settings menu or un-plug her. There ain't no buttons and there ain't no off switch.

Cool has a price. :p

3. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Oh. How *****! I thought Apple were trying to 'go green'.

4. JAWWC macrumors regular

Were did you get this info from? On the main menu screen press and hold play and it will go into standby.

5. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

He;'s talking about switching it off and not putting it in standby, Standby is just lick sleeping your mac, it doesn't shut down.

6. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

In fact, standby on the aTV is worse - the wifi and harddrive are still active - isn't it something like 17 W idle "on" and 14 W standby. Hopefully, the next big update (3.0) will include an option to have a proper standby (all off bar the IR sensor). My LCD manages 1 W in standby, so there's no reason the aTV shouldn't be able to too.

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

i put mine into standby and then turn it off if i won't be using it for a few hours.

it may be a small waste of energy, but added up, not so small

8. ayale99 macrumors 6502

First of all, the obvious MacRumors forum statement: This has been discussed many times. Try searching the forums!

Secondly: Somebody on the forum a while back did the math... in standby mode, the Apple TV will cost you $1 a month in electricity costs. Not too bad, but could be better. I imagine the next Apple TV will be "greener."

9. Macmel macrumors 6502

what i normally do with things like this: plug it into an outlet rack with an ON/OFF button and switch on/off from there.

10. minik macrumors 65816

Yeap! I don't see any environmental status report or Energy Star compliant on the  tv page.

Worse?

11. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

This. Only way to cut it off entirely, even if you could turn it off. (vampire appliances, etc)

12. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

Worse than sleep on a mac (as in the post above). At least that cuts the wifi and drives.

13. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

I bought something from the Apple Store today and was given a lecture that Apple 'don't give carrier bags any more' cos of the environment.

FAIL

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

not true u just have to ask

15. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Seems weird not 'shutting down' Apple TV before actually cutting the power.