erm... where did my volume button go?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zeeflyboy, Dec 5, 2009.

1. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Had my iPhone about 9 months now and this week I realised something was missing. My volume button fell off! no idea when or where as there's no sign of it anywhere...

Now I called up apple and they said there was nothing they could do over the phone so made me an appointment at an apple store for next week.

What do you think my chances are of getting it fixed? I know they'll just say I dropped it or something and in all honesty in the 9 months i've had it it has had two minor falls, both times slipping out my pocket in the car and falling down the side of the seat, but no cracks or anything and not for ages (I quickly cottoned on to that little escape trick!).

I just don't think its unreasonable to expect that an un-abused phone should be able to hold onto it's buttons for at least the duration of my contract, but can see how they have no way to prove that I didn't just drop it in the wrong place.

Anyone had similar experiences? The irritating thing is if I had a clue where my volume button was it looks like it just glues in against a rubber membrane, would be a very easy fix!

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

This was common on the 3G. They will replace it as ^ said.

4. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ah excellent... had no idea it was common - hope the "genius" knows that. The woman on the phone certainly had no clue

Me: "Hi, yeah my problem is that the volume button on my iPhone has fallen off"

Support: "errr, so you mean your volume button isn't working"

Me: "no, I mean it's not there... it's gone, vanished, no where to be seen"

Support: "errrr... so it's not working?"

Me: "ugh..."

I think something was a little lost in translation but she got the jist in the end. Will they replace the whole phone then? That would seem a tad excessive for a button... but who am I to question apples ways....

Cheers guys

5. Shadow2k macrumors member

You will most likely receive a refurbished iPhone of the same model.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Never heard of it. If it's common they would have heard of it.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

8. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

Yeah, this is pretty common, especially with the ringer/silent switch

9. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Just to wrap up the thread...

Went to the genius appointment just now, they replaced it with barely a question! The guys at the genius bar were great, very helpful and did say that they had seen a few with various buttons falling off.

So I now have a shiny new/refurbed iPhone - the chap said that sometimes they are just new phones, sometimes refurbs - is there anyway to tell? not that I care it's just out of curiosity.

This was my first experience with the customer service side of Apple and I must say they've done a damn good first impression! I was so impressed I went and rewarded them by buying a new air jacket case right after.. completely selfless act you understand...

Anyway, cheers guys!