Erm... where is the iChat remote user thingymajig?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoobsPro, Jun 11, 2007.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I didnt sit through the MRlive coverage but I see a distinct lack of any info about the remote user thing in iChat for Leopard. You know where you can take control of the other users machine and collaborate on a project. Was that demoed or what?
    :confused:

2. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

It should still be there. When he was showing off the new finder and clicked on the networked computers it showed a button that said "screen sharing." I assume if he clicked that it would use bonjour through ichat to request a screen sharing session. It sounds like ichat can share the screen, it just isn't a very helpful feature for Devs, so they didn't bring it up at WWDC.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

I think that this core feature has gone. Yes we may be able to run Quick view documents through iChat, but the remote access/sharing type functionality is completely gone. There is no reference to it.

There was a strong reference to it on the previous Leapord website.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's still there. it's just now a finder feature.

6. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

I don't believe that it is the same thing. The finder allows you to browse the files on another machine. The iChat feature allowed you to remote control the other machine. It was going to be a great feature for me: I have spent hours on the phone to my father trying to explain where to go: I was hoping that this would make it a 5 minute job instead.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its in the finder as a 'share screen' option i believe, and still in iChat too, imo.
    if you look at the iChat buddy list window, there is a screen-in-screen button. thats it, if you ask me.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think it's still there...although I'm convinced that they are going to require some sort of .Mac connection to use it outside of your LAN. The Leopard Server pages still make reference to iChat screen sharing and also to Wide-Area Bonjour (which is where I believe .Mac might come into play).

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I disagree. Being able to see what's happening on another (remote) dev's/user's computer can be a very helpful troubleshooting tool.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

look carefully.

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It makes me very upset to see this as a Finder feature and not an iChat feature. Why?

1) You can't talk to the person while you share their screen. (for instruction or help)

2) You can't use this feature over the internet easily. Why do I say that?

Now you might be able to manually add a remote computer to that list in the Finder, but its nowhere as easy as doing it through iChat, which should auto-detect the IP address and setup the port forwarding, etc...

Thats definitely not an improvement. Apple needs to stop removing feature from an already disappointing update to Mac OS X.

Wide-Area Bonjour is a feature in Apple Remote Desktop and hence this feature is already implemented through that software package. Another existing feature being advertised as new...

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

security_hero20070611.png

Yes...but if you look at this screenshot from the Leopard Tech: Security page...clearly screen sharing is an option and the computer can be accessed both locally and globally. This is were I believe Wide-Area Bonjour plays a role.

But I agree with your earlier point that the iChat functionality as advertised in the first Leopard preview should be there...and I we be upset if it's not.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

That setting for access computers outside of the LAN is just using your IP address, which you can already do. The issue is that most home users:

1) Have no idea what their external IP address is or how to find it (you have to teach them)
    2) Have no idea what their internal IP address is.
    3) Have no understanding of how their router works or how to change the settings on it.

Thats where iChat become an awesome way to use this functionality.

14. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I agree completely...that's why I'm hoping it's still in iChat as well as in the new implementation that was shown in the Finder.

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I hope that its still there, but I'm guessing its just an old screenshot if Steve didn't talk about it during the keynote.

16. osirisX macrumors regular

4 reasons for it still existing:

1. The screenshot was up there on the day of the keynote.
    2. iChat in the screenshot has the new UI including the iTunes 7 buttons.
    3. It's present in the movie.

[​IMG]

4. There are 300 new features supposedly in Leopard. Just because Steve didn't talk about it at the keynote and Apple hasn't posted in on the website doesn't mean it has been removed.