Err, I can't buy an iMac for up to two months?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macwick, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Macwick macrumors regular

Just so I understand - yesterday I could buy a (previous gen) 27" iMac. But if I walked into an Apple store today to buy an iMac of any kind I'm about of luck, and if I want a 27" iMac there'll be nothing available in Apple stores for two months? Doesn't this seem like a bit of a gap in their product line up for the remainder of the year?

I don't know why, but I feel like I'm about to get flamed for this question.

2. xVeinx macrumors 6502

They'll have the previous generation in the stores for now. I agree though, it feels odd that they don't even allow for pre-orders. It leaves a big gap for a month or two depending on which iMac.

3. Macwick thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think they will though? You can't buy the previous generation from the Apple Web site...there is no 'Buy' link for an iMac at all.

4. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

A gap, yes. But it cuts down on the "but I just bought X and now Apple has made something better" whining.

5. davey1107 macrumors newbie

Yeah...delays are annoying.

The existing stock of imacs will be sold off over the next two months as new models slowly trickle in. It's not Apple's fault, though. If you read tech news, you know factory output is maxed. All manufacturers are slow while we wait for display production capacity to ramp back up. Fortunately, prices don't seem to be going up.

But I was also hoping to get a new 27" in November.

6. element1108 macrumors member

Frustrated as well. My fault I acknowledge for waiting. I didn't want 2011 hardware for premium price, didn't take the delay rumour seriously enough. Maybe if I had an exact date and BTO price points I'd be satisfied.

Now I'm stuck, seriously contemplated the Mac Pro but I imagine thunderbolt or the very least USB 3 is way future...hate to pay a premium for obsolete hardware.

Hopefully more info comes soon.

7. PJ-Graphix macrumors newbie

ummmm... yeaaaaaaa... so guess who just bought a MBPr and now Apple has come out with the new iMac....... lol... im conflicted on wether to return it or not (i am within the return policy date)

any suggestions would be helpful.. for more info on my specific case and needs of my computer, go here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1474155

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I was holding out for a long time before I upgraded my 2008 2.8 GHz C2D iMac. With the 27" not being available until December, I might as well wait another 5-6 months and get the Haswell chip set. I'm mainly wanting to upgrade for increased desktop space and reliability (don't want the current machine dying on me as I need a computer), but I think I'll risk it a few more months. The current "upgrade" is just meh.

9. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

You can buy them from apple site using the dl refurbished section base 21.5" is $919.99

10. motrek macrumors 68020

Are you worried that your 2008 will die on you? It's only 4 years old. Should last for a LONG time yet...

11. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

My iMac G5 only lasted 3.5 years.

12. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I don't plan on getting a new model but I am intrigued by the new Fusion drive. This sounds like the best part of the upgrade. I am still stuck in old school and thrown for a loop with the lack of a disc drive. I'm trying hard to let go of the past but can't say its an easy thing to do...

13. msg362 macrumors member

Two months for a new iMac? think yourself lucky!

We who live in the nether regions ( in this case Thailand), can't even see the iPhone 5 yet. It will be January at the earliest I guess before I can replace my 2008 iMac.