Erratic battery behavior please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azabache, Sep 7, 2009.

1. azabache macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Macbook from the beginning of 2008. Last July I started to have problems with the battery , it was not recognized, It had an X icon and the power lead was green all the time.

I took the computer to an Apple outlet and they told me that the battery was finish and I needed to buy a new battery, I bought a new battery and still the computer didnt recognize the battery, apparently the battery was not good. Apple changed the battery and now, I have a 3 battery. Now the battery is charging but on and off. Last week the battery was working fine for 4 days, but after 4 days the battery was not recognized, x icon again and lead green all the time. 24 hours later started to work fine. Today as I write this, the battery is on and off, two minutes is charging, 5 minutes is not recognized, and so on. :(

I tried to reset the PRAM, System Management, etc but still the same thing, I even deleted ITunes, as the first time I started to have problems it was after downloading a new Itunes update and last week the battery was working fine for 4 days and crashed just after I started to charge my Ipod. Maybe it isnt related at all but I dont know.

Could it be the logic board? the thing is I took the computer to Apple for a diagnosis but they told me that they didnt have a clue what it could be.... I dont have Apple Care and the guaranty has run out
    thanks for helping

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, it could be the logic board. Take it to the shop with your battery collection and tell them to fix the bloody thing.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

yea tell them to fix it but your out of apple care so your gonna end up paying around 800 dollars just to fix it more than likely...

4. msevild macrumors regular

Well to possibly give you some better news...there is a small chance that the issue lies in the logic board, but more often than not, the battery connector board has gone bad and is displaying erratic behavior. The repair/replacement of that board will still be around $100 after parts and labor, but that is likely the part that needs to be replaced.

5. azabache thread starter macrumors newbie

I took the computer to the Apple guys, they say that it could be the that the battery is not good... they will come back to me sometime next week, let see what they say. If the battery is not good, they will change it for free because it is a new battery and it has 1 year guaranty. I hope it's that, although it's a bit concerning that Apple batteries are so crap, the first one died after 18 months of use, I bought a new one and it was a bad one, so it was change, if this one is also bad...:confused: